Sunday 27 September 2009

Hell and heaven


These are the hell weeks of too much work, too little time, so a stolen Saturday of much needed relaxation seemed a good opportunity to get inspired by Lorianne. I bought a small sketch book and went to the park on a perfect early autumn day of soft, warm light with a tiny bite of chill and damp at its very edge. Held between the leaves already crackling underfoot and a densely woven canopy of quiet birdsong, I sat beside the lake in Dulwich Park which hummed with even more birds and bugs than usual - humming their pre-death or pre-migration swansong, but no swans. Looking, drawing, looking, drawn close to every purple daisy, curling oak leaf and rosy crabapple, far from all the worries of the working world. It was heavenly. Now I'm back in the office.

5 comments:

marja-leena said...

How wonderful to hear that you are sketching, and what a great place for it! Hope the work world calms a bit soon.

Lorianne said...

I'm glad I inspired something positive! It amazes me how even spending "only" five minutes drawing something has an almost immediate relaxing effect, as if you've tapped into some other part of your brain that shuts down the usual, stressed-out part. I hope you continue to find time to take sketch-breaks.

Lucy said...

Oh well done!

Sky said...

being in the moment...a restful moment.

leslee said...

Wonderful. I do hope you get more time for these restorative breaks. It makes the rest more bearable.