Tuesday 1 October 2013

Painted by a shy September sun


 

The sunshine has been rich and soft, if infrequent. Both when the sun shone and when it didn't, September's light was perfect for taking photos and I found I'd taken some I rather liked and that perhaps cohere around a certain mood.

Is it very sad, or very weird, to say that taking photos reassures me that I'm still alive? I think I felt a bit better about this after reading Loren on the twelfth anniversary of starting his blog, which is one of my favourites, full of wisdom, skill and joy in life. "Blogging is the mental equivalent of regular exercise.", he wrote, "Forcing myself to write here has kept me more alive than I ever thought possible." An intensely practical way of putting it, and I knew at once what he meant. It's how I feel about taking photos and how I felt for a long time about blogging.
 




So here we are again. I'm not sure right now if I'll be returning here for the long term or having a go at something else. But having a go at something. Making shapes and pictures with words and with my camera is too important, too fundamental, to walk away from.

A selection of September photos is here - best viewed as a slideshow.
 
 

13 comments:

Dick said...

As a shambolic blogger in recent times, I'm in no position to urge you to share with us regularly that which so nourishes your sense of being. But the fact is that the photos and their commentaries also nourish us so consider yourself urged!

PS I'm up for a Junction gathering. I shall alert Natalie.

Tamar said...

"Blogging is the mental equivalent of regular exercise.", he wrote, "Forcing myself to write here has kept me more alive than I ever thought possible."

Ooh - I can identify with that! Always good to see you in whichever format you choose, Jean!

Jean said...

Dick, oh yes, do let's meet up soon. Would love to see you.

I'm still having problems reading your blog - every time I visit I get an error message and have to shut down my computer :-(

Dave said...

Yay! And yes, I liked that post by Loren as well, though sadly I haven't been as regular a reader of him as you have. The fact that he still finds energy to post after 12 years is impressive and inspiring. And I must say I'm relieved now that blogging is no longer the hot new thing, and has become so normal and standard a way to share things on the web. Kind of takes off the pressure to write or post in a certain way.

Loren said...

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your photos (and writings), Jean.

Seeing other's photos helps me to improve my own photos by seeing the world from a different slant.

Now if I can just get past captcha to leave this comment

marja-leena said...

Welcome back, Jean! I have always admired your writing photos and these are stunning. I had read and felt inspired by Loren's post as well, for I've been lagging the past months.

Jean said...

Marja-Leena, I've been meaning to contact you to let you know that I couldn't comment on you blog - I kept trying to comment on your beautiful photos of driftwood, petroglyphs etc (especially the former, which I really loved) and getting a message saying that I had posted too many comments and couldn't submit any more (when I hadn't submitted any).

marja-leena said...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about that. A few others have had that problem now and then, even I. I find if I come back a little later it seems okay again, but let me know if that doesn't work either.

The Solitary Walker said...

Super photos, Jean. Your petals on the pavement took me back to this: http://solitary-walker.blogspot.co.uk/2008/11/toulouse-rose-red-city.html

Lucy said...

Oh good!

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Glad you're back, Jean, and with such wondrous images. That chair especially...!
Do you print them out sometimes? There are some beautiful archival papers available, worth looking into.

Yes let's have a meet-up but after I come back from the Deauville conference , Will blog about this in a day or so.

Jean said...

Oh Natalie, yes, that's this month, isn't it? Hope it's going to be a wonderful trip and event!

Les said...

Gorgeous photos, Jean. I've been unable to capture much that's satisfying lately for photos. Too busy or dull light and uninteresting stuff. But with the leaves turning here and the low autumn light it'll get better I know. With any luck I'll have some time as well... Glad to see you back, for now!