Friday 28 January 2011

The world in my other ear

So I have a completely blocked, deaf ear again, after an ear infection.  It's an odd, disorienting, disconcerting feeling. The office phone rings and I pick it up reluctantly, hold it awkwardly to my left ear, the one I never use for this. And on the phone I hear the once familiar voice of a former colleague whom I haven't seen or heard for a decade and more. The fantasy passes through my mind that he's been here, that all that former social, working world I thought I left behind has still been right here all these years, been speaking all along into my other ear, the one I never listen with.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate having a blocked ear. I find that half and half mineral oil and vinegar, warmed up, works wonders. (Unless it's a middle ear infection. In that case just my sympathy!)

Jean said...

Blocked, and a middle ear infection. So I'm alternating two kinds of drops, for the wax and the infection. And it's getting better. Slowly.

Peter Clothier said...

Oh, I had the same a little while ago. Not an infection, but blocked up, and had to use the other ear for the telephone. Disorienting, yes. I like the fantasy it evoked for you!

Dale said...

One of those haunting ideas, Hard to shake because for all its surface falsity it's unavoidably true. Wonderful post, Jean.

I hope the ear clears up fast!

litlove said...

I love the fantasy of having kept a voice in a different ear. But I am so sorry to hear you haven't been well. Ear infections are particularly nasty. Rest up and take the very best care of yourself.

Tamar said...

A haunting post. Beautiful, Jean.