Sunday 31 July 2011

Hungarian idols

The Royal Academy's exhibition of black and white works by Hungarian photographers is simply overwhelming. It includes so many of the great, great photographs: the ones I've seen and loved for so long and internalised and half forgotten, the ones that influence every aesthetic judgement I've ever made about a photograph, every sensual-emotional response. All day would be insufficient to take in one room, but the time I could spend in all seven rooms was limited - how long can you gorge on chocolates from a giant box? So I tried to cruise and lick one here and there and savour and retain the after-taste.

(Capa, Kertesz, Kertesz, Munkacsi, Munkacsi, Vadas, Haar, Escher, Brassai, Angelo)

























11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow--thanks for sharing these.

JMartin said...

A wonderful, envy-inducing share: thank you! I obtained a Kertesz print (The Concierge's Dog) after many years of longing, and it never palls. Thank you also for your own street photographs, so tremendously accomplished and evocative.

Lucy said...

Oh my. Chocolates indeed.

Fire Bird said...

awesome - truly

Rouchswalwe said...

You've chosen some good ones to showcase here. I wonder what it is about quality black and white photography that touches my heart so.

rr said...

Thanks for the link - I had no idea (needless to say) that it was on. They're my absolute favourites too, embedded so deep in the synapses as to feel part of me it's rather a shock to see them again and realise they're also external. I would love to see it with you, if you have the time and wherewithal to go again before it closes. I'm off on holiday for a week or so but maybe when I'm back and child-free :-)

Parmanu said...

I wish I were in London.

Jean said...

rr, oh yes, let's! Have a good holiday!

Parmanu, yeah, London gets on top of me from time to time, but does have its compensations and this was definitely one of them.

earlybird said...

These are breathtaking. Thanks for posting them.

Daydream Believer said...

This must be a very special exhibition. Am longing to get to it. You might be interested in my blog jackie.bradley.blogspot.com.The last few entries (apart from a doggy diversion) were about one day in London last week.

Jean said...

Hi Jackie! I see from a quick look at your blog that we have many tastes in common - I'll be back to read properly.